In 1823, Mr. Shore built himself a small house at Mussoorie and at the same time Captain Young(as he was then) built the house known as Mullingar at Landour which is now occupied by the Soldiers’ Furlough Home. Four years later Government inaugurated the convalescent Depot paying rent of Rs.70 per annum to the Rajah of Tehri and the Mahant of DehraDun who in return absolutely ceded the land now occupied by Cantonments. The rent is still being paid for quit some time. From this time onwards, to about 1845, most of the Landour houses were built. St. Paul’s Church was constructed in 1838 and consecrated in 1840 by Bishop Wilson of Calcutta.