The convalescent depot at Landour dates from 1827 or 1828. At that time Landour was known better than Mussoorie, which consisted of only a few houses. But since then things have changed and Landour is now merely the military part of Mussoorie, although it is not included in Municipal limits. Landour, which is included in the Dehra Dun Brigade is mainly composed of the convalescent Depot. The Commander of the Depot is ex-officio Commanding Officer of the station.There was also a 1st class Station Staff Officer, who represented the Commandant during the winter season. The Cantonment Magistrate of Dehradun also included Landour in his charge.